Monday 7 May 2012

5 a day, 3 times a week and 21 units a week

Trying to lead a healthy well balanced life style to me is a challenge. Everywhere you go you are faced with Mcdonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut. All delicious but not very good for you and so very very very tempting. Then when you do go to a place where there is a healthy option, it is often way more expensive and a bit half hearted and usually limited if you ask me. You don't go to Mcdonalds and have the salad and if you do have the salad its still likely to be covered in salt!

Last week when I was in Sheffield my mate and I went to the Wetherspoons and looking through the menu some of the meals on the menu had over 100% fat in them of your daily GDA. Even the healthy stuff had 50% of your daily recommended amount in one meal! And some even had 150% of your daily allowance! I'm sure the majority of us try to eat right but these companies don't make it easy.

Lets take my local town Whittlesey as an example of the fast food epidemic, from the top of my head we have two fish and chip shops, one Indian, 5 Chinese takeaways, one Mexican and 6 pizza/burger/general places so that makes 14 takeaway establishments for a population roughly of 15,000. Isn't that a lot for a small population? What does that say for Whittlesey? Are all towns like this these days?

A big bug bear of mine is fast food sponsoring sporting events! Yes I'm looking at you Mcdonalds, Coca Cola and Cadburys! They all sponsor either the football world cup or the Olympics! Come on what is that all about? Have a Big Mac and then you can do the 100 metres, just like Usain Bolt? It's ridiculous and pointless! Obviously they sponsor these events because they can afford the huge fees to associate their brand with a world event but don't these sporting bodies have a duty of care to say 'Yo Ronald get your Big Mac away from the Olympics' Wouldn't Shredded Wheat and Granny Smiths Apples be a better partner? Not as glamorous but it would provide a more consistent message. I mean just thinking off the top of my head couldn't the government stop junk food advertising? They are constantly hammering tobacco companies so I'm sure they could target these kind of things as well. Obesity is becoming a bigger and bigger problem right and no wonder it's an issue with all these fast food places and mixed messages from these sporting events!

Alcohol consumption is a big issue as well, young people today don't go out to enjoy a pint, they want to get s**t faced and w******d. I'm no angel and I used to get involved in that every weekend but I don't remember getting any education at school about safe drinking and the ways it can harm you. It wasn't until about 5 years ago when it became an issue with the media I started to understand about units and the potential dangers of exceeding the recommended weekly allowance.

I'm not really sure if I have explained what I wanted to or got my point across, thanks for reading none the less!

C ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment