Thursday 31 May 2012

Do your shopping and get the f**k out of my shop - The Aldi experience!

My life must be pretty boring as I'm resulting to having to write about a supermarket but at the end of the day we all have to shop at them, food is kind of necessary.

I used to be a bit of a snob and would never go into Aldi. They don't do brands, they do cheap rip offs and surely the quality can't be as good as Heinz and co. At the end of the day it will come down to personal opinion but to me it doesn't taste any different to the main brands.

So the big great Aldi experience then. Well for a start its not like Waitrose, where here they don't serve the next customer until you are done, the staff are also presented smartly and professionally. It's also certainly not like Tesco where you get to see a badge of how long Sheila has worked there for! No its not like either of these at all, it's basically a competition to go in and find the food hidden amongst the cardboard packaging. Aldi to me don't seem to believe in store presentation, it seems like they want you to go in and search for the items. Don't let this put you off though - if you see an empty box on the shelf just fling it out the way and you will usually find more hidden food behind!

Take for example, Saturday just gone. I was getting my orange juice and was having to dice with death as the juice I wanted was hidden under 4 layers of blackcurrant juice. It was basically a game of Jenga and I was hoping I wouldn't meet my maker by blackcurrant juice. Obviously I lived but I'm not sure the next person would have been so lucky.

Once you have survived all this you get to the checkout. Other supermarket cashiers are sedate they take their time. Not Aldi. Once your trolley is parked up, the checkout lady starts scanning straight away, she literally scans the items at the speed of light (if not faster) and plonks them at the end in the tiniest space ever! You are then faced with a race, you have to throw everything into the trolley or else you run out of room. I sometimes chuckle to myself that the nice checkout lady will push the food off to teach us a lesson for being too slow. Or maybe too old in some peoples' case.

It gets better. You must have realised everything is not packed, Aldi like you to bring your own bags, or they charge you the pricey sum of 3p for a new bag. You then have to go to a packing area and unpack your trolley to put all your food into the appropriate carrier bag with a 100 other people. You have no room, all the food is over the place and you cant find the matching things to put into the right bag! Frustrating!

So why do I go to Aldi? Its a frustrating experience, they don't like you to overstay your welcome and its dangerous. However, it's cheap and you save a lot of money over branded items especially when you have better things to spend money on like upcoming holidays!

C ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment