Sunday 22 April 2012

Never ever anger a cold caller

Not so long ago I made an enemy, a guy from a call centre where they call you and ask a few questions about a survey they are doing. I don't like these calls, I have signed up to the telephone preference service but a few calls still get through. When they do come through I tell them to remove us off the list but they always call back. Its annoying.

Anyway this is where my new tactic came in, I took some inspiration from my sister in law who told a cold caller that her Dad had left them when they asked to speak to him and I decided the next time I got one of those calls I would just simply waste their time! And that is what I did, everytime someone called I would simply say the most ridiculous thing I could until they hung up on me it. It was a fun game as it was only wasting their time!

Eventually I annoyed the wrong person and this how it went down, a man calls up and asks to speak to the homeowner I step in and say yes this is me and he asks if I'll take part in a survey on energy consumption.

Him - 'Who supplies your Gas'

Me - 'Ukranian Gas'

He fills answer in on his computer he has obviously bought my well thought out lie.

Him - 'Who supplies your Electricity'

Me - 'African Electricity'

He again writes the answer into his computer clearly I can say what I want..I think!

Him - 'How do you pay for your energy'

Me - 'Monopoly Money'

Him - 'No no no direct debit, pre-payment, etc etc etc'

Me - 'No I buy Monopoly games and use the money included'

He then has the cheek to have a go at me! He realises all my answers have been lies and he clearly feels a bit stupid and he tells me exactly what he thinks and in his attempt to teach me a lesson he says 'do you want to buy some condoms' As my Mrs testifies apparently my face turned red with anger at this point, I was caught by surprise and didn't know what to say or do so just hung up. Yes I had wound the man up but he got his revenge, or had he...

Over the next one to two weeks he called us most nights, some times the wife answered he would say something stupid and hang up, he would breath down the phone in a creepy manner (guess that's the only way) and if we had the cheek to hang up straight away they would call again!

As you can guess it was annoying but I had clearly annoyed him and he was on some kind of crusade. It was at this point I decided I would no longer wind up cold callers and would just hang up straight away. The calls did stop. Either the guy got fired or he found someone else to wind up. Hopefully its the former.

So that concludes the story of the time I wound up a cold caller, I like to think my lesson has been learned but I'm sure I'll do it again one day!

C ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment